This now-abandoned town in the Black Hills was formed in 1890, right after the Spokane Mine was discovered. It produced gold, silver, lead, beryl, copper, mica, hematite, graphite, zinc, and more.
The mine was profitable and the town prospered. In 1927, the town’s profits totaled what would be $144,742 today.
The mine dried up and was closed in the 1940s. The town gradually was abandoned.
Today, Spokane is one of the most intact ghost towns in the Black Hills. The site has a schoolhouse, homes, deep wells, a root cellar, old cars, and a grave.
The remains of the forgotten town of Spokane can be found near Custer State Park’s northern border off Forest Service Road 330.